Monday, December 7, 2009

photo log: Christmas Tree 2009

Last year we did not get to break out the Christmas decorations that were of huge concern to me as we house hunted last December. A concern as in "Where are we going to put them since none of these homes come with basements?" The answer has been our huge heated garage that only holds one car (mine) 6 months of the year when it is too cold to ride bikes and they can be hung from the ceiling. Never mind that it is a 3 car garage. But that is another post.

So when our house ended up boasting a 2 story living room with a bay window perfect for a Christmas Tree, I was most excited. The Christmas Tree is my thing. Our ornaments are from every place we have ever vacationed starting with our honeymoon in Jackson Hole. I love to scour the shops of every place we have been in search for the perfect ornament.

We have a space needle, a statue of liberty, a San Diego fishing boat, a Confederate Soldier from Franklin, TN, moose on white water rafts, and even one from Germany when JaDee was there for work a million years ago.

And then there are the kids ornaments. Of course the baby ornaments but also ballerina slippers this year for Olivia, a cowboy boot for Ethan several years ago when that was all he would wear, and the salt dough ornaments made by Carter in Kindergarten.

I spend hours wrapping each branch with lights and hang my strings of red beads just so before the ornaments touch a branch.

This year we chopped one down and it was FREE! Wahoo! And the wild trees here are exactly the kind I like and which I have been known to spend way too much on in UT.

And so enjoy these pictures of our trees journey, where 5 days ago it was growing in a field on the Fort Richardson Army base, until we came a long with our axe and strapped it to our car. I like to think that it is glad it got to be our tree this year. That it is honored to hold our stories on its branches for a few weeks.











7 comments:

Courtney said...

Your tree looks like our tree! Tall & skinny. You put way more lights though. We could only find one strand, so our lights barely go half way up :)

Anonymous said...

ooooooh, and you have fresh sticky tree smell too. Awesome.

EmRee said...

Jeff will be very impressed with the lights. I'm going to have to send pictures of our tree escapade though not a well documented as the yours.

Kolbi Young said...

Well you certainly live in the right place to get a fresh pine! I'm sticking to my little, pre-lit artificial tree - much less work, but not nearly as fragrant! The tree looks awesome and I love your tradition with the ornaments. We collect one ornament signifying each year....

Elizabeth said...

Uh, that is one BIG tree! Did you have a ladder? Oh, and good luck with your cortisol...that is really gross about your spit!

Cara said...

Love it! I am sending your presents today. Last day of the deadline you gave us! Wish me luck at the post office with Marin and Kate!

Sherie said...

Sharon just did the spit thing and it cracks me up! Nice tree and Merry Christmas!!!

A little quote or two...

“There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.” -Washington Irving

"Education enriches the mind and enlightens the
soul," --Nicole Moncur 2008

"Reading can be dangerous." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale


BOOK HOUSE from the paper of my Grandfather Sidney W. Campbell

I always think the cover of a book is like a door Which opens into someone's house where I've not been
before. A pirate or a fairy queen may lift the latch for me. I always wonder when I knock, what welcome there will be. And when I find a house that's dull, I do not often stay But when I find one full of friends, I'm apt to spend the day. I never know what sort of folks will be within you see. And that's why reading always is so interesting to me. ~~Annie Fellows Johnston



The Moncur Fam

The Moncur Fam
September 2006 look for a new one this summer