Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tender mercy

I've been known to scoff at blog posts bearing evidence of "tender mercies" given to writers. I realize my ignorance in such scoffings of seemingly ordinary events and the impact they had in the lives of the authors. I hope to forever recognize the hand of God in the lives of others as I truly have had countless mercies shown to me lately. I would like to share one such event.

Ive been working on watching my budget. Like seriously trying to get some things taken care of. Today Olivia woke up from a dream of buying a new dress. She wanted one from David's Bridal like her flower girl dress from my brother's wedding. Well that wasn't going to happen, but the idea of the local Salvation Army popped into my head. We headed there with the promise of never knowing what you'll find and it was to be an adventure.

Olivia was excited. She also wanted a toy and Ethan wanted to explore. Well there were only two dresses in the little girls section but both Olivia's size. We tried them on and chose a great dress that will serve nicely for Easter. She couldn't be more thrilled. That was miracle enough for me. But the Lird wasn't done.

Ethan came home from Wyoming in love with the game Stratego. I had been wanting to find it for him but it had never quite made the priority list to look past Walmart or Fred Myers. Well while perusing the small toy section, I looked up to find, you guessed it: Stratego. With all it's pieces and the instruction manual in two languages. For $3.50.

I wanted to cry. What are the chances that we would go to a store I've only been in twice before and the kids didn't know existed, and find exactly what we needed. Exactly what my children needed today.

To anyone else it wouldn't be a big deal. To read this, it does not seem extraordinary. But the love that filled me from my Heavenly Father through this tender mercy and shone in the light of my son WAS extraordinary.

7 comments:

Courtney said...

Nicole! This brought tears to my eyes. I love these little remonders that the Lord remembers us and gives us what we need, no matter how small. Give your kids a hug from aunt Courtney! Love you guys.

Amy said...

Tears in my eyes, too. D.I. and Salvation Army have been the answer to many of our prayers, and even just a simple 'want'. He's mindful of us in such big and small ways.

Anonymous said...

It's small and simple things that help the most sometimes.

My kids found a Star Wars Stratego at a yard sale last spring and they love it! They kick my butt every time now.

Cara said...

I've been one to laugh too at the way the phrase "tender mercy" went viral in Mormon culture after it was first coined, but it's hard to describe those little gifts from the Lord any other way. Tender mercies is what they really are. Glad you and your cute kids are being taken care of!

Anonymous said...

This past year has taught me to recognise these little God moments in my life and to appreciate them in others too... I too felt a moment of feeling and it was nice... I enjoy seeing this moments in my childrens lives.

Nancy Campbell Allen said...

I've had this happen too! I love it, Nicole. It really is a blessing. What a great day. I love it when we can feel Him with us.

Unknown said...

Crying too. I love these seeming small "tender mercies" that the Lord can surprise us with. I enjoy reading your blog also. Thank you for sharing.

A little quote or two...

“There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.” -Washington Irving

"Education enriches the mind and enlightens the
soul," --Nicole Moncur 2008

"Reading can be dangerous." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale


BOOK HOUSE from the paper of my Grandfather Sidney W. Campbell

I always think the cover of a book is like a door Which opens into someone's house where I've not been
before. A pirate or a fairy queen may lift the latch for me. I always wonder when I knock, what welcome there will be. And when I find a house that's dull, I do not often stay But when I find one full of friends, I'm apt to spend the day. I never know what sort of folks will be within you see. And that's why reading always is so interesting to me. ~~Annie Fellows Johnston



The Moncur Fam

The Moncur Fam
September 2006 look for a new one this summer