Monday, November 16, 2009
Ethan's Christmas story
Once when I was in kindergarten I licked the pole at the playground in Willard Elementary School in UT. It didn't stick. My mom told me it would because hers did. When she was in kindergarten and to a fire hydrant. I know I did it right because it was really cold in Utah but it still didn't stick.
I had kind of forgotten about it until last week. It was Olivia's birthday. It was really cold. I went out on the playground with my friend and we were talking about all the unbelievable stuff we knew. Like did you know my mom was alive in WWII. That is why she knows so much stuff about it. And did you know that our wool rug makes electricity and one day I am going to shock the heck out of my brother.
I started to remember what Olivia said to me the other day. She says I am her best friend. And my sister told me that mom said not to touch the handrail at the post Office without gloves because it would stick to it. So she kept her hands in her pocket. That got me to thinking about the time she said my tongue would stick to a metal pole.
So I asked my friend, "Did you know that your tongue can stick to metal."
"Yeah."
"Do you really think it works?"
"I don't know. Why don't you try it."
"No way. You do it too."
"OK."
So we went to the edge of the basketball courts where the fence was really high. I stuck out my tongue and so did my friend.
And they stuck. Like it only took a second!
Mine was stuck on a lot more than my friends. He just barely stuck the tip to the pole but I full on licked it.
I figured I would be stuck there forever but my friend got loose and told me to just pull hard. So I did. Then he told me it was bleeding so we went to find a Recess Duty.
We told her what happened and she sent us to the nurse.
The nurse gave me some salt water. First I drank it because I thought that it was like medicine that I had to take. Then she told me that swish and spit meant to rinse my mouth out and spit. My friend wasn't bleeding so he just sat their. He didn't get any salt water.
The nurse called my house and left a message that I had an accident on the playground. Nothing serious, she assured her, but wanted to let my mom know what treatment had been given. Then she called my mom's cell phone and left the same message. Finally she called my dad and left a message for him. She was very thorough. They were at Olivia's birthday party. But I had to go back to class because i wasn't hurt that bad. I asked. My friends parents didn't get a phone call either.
She told me I couldn't eat orange juice or anything that will sting or if it was too hot. And I needed to rinse with 1/8 a tsp of salt for 3 ounces of water. I didn't do it when I got home. It's fine anyway.
I learned my lesson.
A little quote or two...
“There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.” -Washington Irving
"Education enriches the mind and enlightens the
soul," --Nicole Moncur 2008"Reading can be dangerous." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
BOOK HOUSE from the paper of my Grandfather Sidney W. CampbellI always think the cover of a book is like a door Which opens into someone's house where I've not been
before. A pirate or a fairy queen may lift the latch for me. I always wonder when I knock, what welcome there will be. And when I find a house that's dull, I do not often stay But when I find one full of friends, I'm apt to spend the day. I never know what sort of folks will be within you see. And that's why reading always is so interesting to me. ~~Annie Fellows Johnston
The Moncur Fam
September 2006 look for a new one this summer
5 comments:
I love it!!!! Made me laugh out loud. What a great story, just like in "The Christmas Story"....thanks for sharing;)
LOL I did that too once, but I only touched a little tip to the pole. I got off without too much trouble.
That is the best story ever! I love it!
I loved the part about the wool rug and shocking the heck out of your brother. What a funny boy! and OUCH! I can't believe he just pulled it off!
Ethan, Ethan, Ethan there is no one like him!
Post a Comment