Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Xena warrior Princess


I bet you would never guess from the title of this blog that I would be talking about making curtains. I bet you were thinking that I sat and watched a marathon of Xena while sitting on a donut pillow all day. While I was in considerable amount of pain after yesterday's events on the streets of Alaska, I did not watch one episode of Xena Warrior Princess.

Instead I bought a glue gun.

I'll get back to Xena in minute.

I have been studying this blog The Nesting Place quite religiously since I discovered it. I think I got it off of Meredith's blog, thanks my dear! I was wondering what to do about window treatments in the new abode. The owner is a good little seamstress and made some wonderful curtains for the place, but (could you see that "but" coming mid-sentence, I did.) I would not have chosen a red polyester blend for my breakfast nook of canary yellow.

After taking copious notes on The Nesting Place's subject titled "Window Mistreatments," I scoped out a fabric store and fell in love with a yellow on white floral, in kind of a toile style print. I was encouraged by Miss Nesting Place's permission to not obey any rules and go with what I liked. Also, she doesn't sew. She uses a glue gun named Priscilla.

I don't sew. I made a Pillow in Home Ec in 8th grade and was successful at it. If you don't look to close that is. But when the project to sew an article of clothing came up I picked a simple pair of Bermuda shorts. And proceeded to make one leg longer and sew a pocket shut. Since then I have been plagued by sewing misfortunes that usually start when I can't figure out how to thread the blasted machine.

I bought my fabric yesterday on the way to the Ozark Antique Store (seriously, that's its name and it is run by 2 little southern ladies who new immediately that I was from out of town. Apparently locals and Natives haven't caught their vision. Only us transplants held against our will frequent their store). At the store I picked out a table and 3 chairs for the breakfast nook and a chair for the desk area (that is another post hopefully coming tomorrow night!).

Today I got out my fabric, the rods, measuring tape, and scissors. Halt! My glue gun is still in a box in the garage! Yeah and when we open up boxes that say "Toys" and find camping equipment, we have to wonder what they labelled my craft supplies from the laundry room (when I find the box labelled "Worthless Crap" I guess I'll know).

So I threw on a coat over my PJ's and Livvy's PJ's as well. Scraped and warmed the car and trucked the 1.5 miles to Wal-Mart. Seriously, I used more gas to warm the car and I am closer to Wal-Mart here than in Perry and I did not think that was possible.

And there I found her. The choices were the $5 glue gun or the $10 glue gun with two settings and removable cord for "hard to reach places" (do I dare ask where those are??). I went with $10 option with the deluxe features like: precision tip, and the aforementioned cord and hi/lo settings. Found Pom Poms for the finished edge and.........

90 minutes later I had THIS!



I felt so empowered that I had to name my trusty tool who made things so easy and so satisfying something worthy of my accomplishment. I had to honor that domestic goddess inside and like a revelation from the glue gun herself the name came to me!

XENA WARRIOR PRINCESS!!!!!

Tomorrow we tackle the skirt for the desk. And a leak in my shower!

8 comments:

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

Wow, I love them.
You did a fantastic job. Watch out Martha;) I can't wait to see what else you create.

Courtney said...

Those are so cute! Good job! You have inspired me that maybe I will go buy a glue gun friend of my own and make curtains for Brooke's room.

Anonymous said...

Seriously? A Glue gun? Awesome! I wonder where mine got off to now?

Sherie said...

As I may have said before...How many times did you burn yourself? ha ha ha

They look great!

Anonymous said...

GREAT job!! I love the table and chairs for the kitchen/nook too! You rock!

(I think that blog is from Quilty' Chick's links. Technically, though, you could have found it from my blog. So I'll take the credit!! Yay me!!)

Jennie Moore said...

SUPER CUTE!!!

Unknown said...

Hi Nicole:
Your curtains look wonderful and you Do know how to sew. Thank you for letting me be part of your life with this blog. Nancy might like to blog with you too.
ncallen.blogspot.com
Take care and know that all your boxes will be sorted and emptied one of these days.
Love you.
Your aunt Kari

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole:
Your curtains look wonderful and you Do know how to sew. Thank you for letting me be part of your life with this blog. Nancy might like to blog with you too.
ncallen.blogspot.com
Take care and know that all your boxes will be sorted and emptied one of these days.
Love you.
Your aunt Kari

A little quote or two...

“There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.” -Washington Irving

"Education enriches the mind and enlightens the
soul," --Nicole Moncur 2008

"Reading can be dangerous." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale


BOOK HOUSE from the paper of my Grandfather Sidney W. Campbell

I always think the cover of a book is like a door Which opens into someone's house where I've not been
before. A pirate or a fairy queen may lift the latch for me. I always wonder when I knock, what welcome there will be. And when I find a house that's dull, I do not often stay But when I find one full of friends, I'm apt to spend the day. I never know what sort of folks will be within you see. And that's why reading always is so interesting to me. ~~Annie Fellows Johnston



The Moncur Fam

The Moncur Fam
September 2006 look for a new one this summer