
Well 2 words actually:
What is this, you ask (I had to). Turns out it is not volcanic ash (always a possibility in Alaska) that is signally your certain death. It is, however, a fancy way of saying first snow on the mountains and thus the end of summer. When the Termination Dust is first spotted on the tips of the peaks it is said we have 3 weeks until it hits the valley and remains with us until May.
I also found this handy website for all the Alaskan Slang around here.
4 comments:
Those are good. especially the chitna :)
only 3 weeks, eh? It's like the snow is some disease out of a movie and you only have 3 weeks to live :) I also see on your weather widget it's only 34 degree today. That is way too chilly for September!
That website would have been helpful a few months ago. There are plenty of things people say up here that I have no idea what they are talking about...just smile and nod! It dropped like ten degrees today! What the Heck?!?!
Oh mercy. Get the candles ready for some cozy darkness. :-)
Post a Comment