Friday, October 16, 2009

possessed...a Halloween tale


I have had a rather busy week. I should not even be on here right now, but I have to write about the funny thing that happened to me. It is actually indirectly related to my busy week.

See I had to run to Anchorage for this elusive glaze that we are using in our Relief Society Fabulous Friday this weekend. I got left being in charge of a beaded necklace with Scrabble tile pendant when someone who knew how to make this project moved and therefore getting promoted to running the whole thing vs. just helping shop for parts on eBay.

Back to the story... After claiming my rare dimensional glaze (That is a technical term in the scrabble tile necklace world) I was starving on my way back to pick Olivia up from pre-school. My 7 AM bowl of Cheerios wasn't cutting it anymore ( it was 3:00). I did not have time for much not did I have more than $4 in my wallet. Taco Bell did not sound tempting. Nor did anything else. So I decided to run into the gas station for a drink and a Luna Bar to tide me over.

But I get to the drink station and sense something staring at me. Boring its eyes in the back of my nourishment deprived brain. Vulnerable to its powers I turn in slow motion to see the hot dog station. (the red font color is supposed to be scary...like blood. The italics is supposed to be shiver-y).

My mouth begins to water.

Mustard. Relish. That sweet and tangy mixture tempting the back of my throat.

I could not resist.

But half way through fishing the dog out of the hot water with tongs that had been resting in an empty drink cup and squeezing the relish out of the Heinz bottle instead of opening up an individual package, I realize (too late) the sanitary (or lack of) situation I am in.

The relish bottle was a sticky, and slightly crusty, squeeze kind. So was the mustard. How hot does the water have to remain before awaiting hot dogs grow bacteria? And when was the last time these tongs sitting next to them were cleaned? I bet they have never been dropped on the floor. Or picked up by the grungy construction workers outside.

I want to put it back or throw it away and continue my search for a Luna bar. But what kind of social / legal consequences are there for throwing away an uneaten hot dog in the convenient store? How close do they monitor those cameras? I bet they are just waiting to nab a nice mom like me and then I will be late for preschool pick up.

So I pay for the hot dog and drink and head back to my car. Passing more than a couple of trash cans on the way.

Because now I have paid for good food. And like a good mom I know there are starving children in Africa who would love this, so I should be grateful.

And that bottle wasn't that sticky. The health department was sure to have just been here testing with their little thermometers and clipboards.

So I eat it.

Like a woman possessed.

Or at least like a stress eater.

PS-for those of you in Anchorage, the Scary part of the story happens when I tell you where I actually bought this delicacy: The Holiday on Muldoon... I know. Yikes.

6 comments:

Kolbi Young said...

Oh, Nicole - thank you for the laugh! Ryker was born the week the swine flu was declared a pandemic. Don't worry, I turned into a Momma Bear when it came to germs. And just last week while we were out running errands, a random stranger in the store came up and reached into the carseat and shook Ryker's hands. And I snapped. I told her to PLEASE not touch his hands, as he regularly sucks on them. Hello, I don't know this lady from Adam and whether or not she washed after using the bathroom last. Good thing I carry hand sanitizer wipes in which I promptly scrubbed the little man down. Yes, I am slightly crazy when it comes to germs! I'll remember to avoid the hot dog stands.....

Anonymous said...

So when you say "I shouldn't be typing this" does that mean you should be in the bathroom puking your guts out? ;)

I pray your intestines survive!

Courtney said...

Haha! That is too funny! Whenever I am hungry I always end buying things that look good--like bean dip. I HATE bean dip, but somehow managed to eat a few bites before I remembered that. :)

Ryanne said...

I've missed reading your blog! I wish I could have seen you when I was in AK. I was under tight family survelliance:) And Muldoon, definitely scary!

Sarah H. said...

LOL! That Holiday gas Station on Mouldoon is terrifying! I've only went in once! I'm surprised you are still alive!

Shar said...

I'm not sure how I got to your blog, but that story killed me! Thanks for the laugh!

A little quote or two...

“There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.” -Washington Irving

"Education enriches the mind and enlightens the
soul," --Nicole Moncur 2008

"Reading can be dangerous." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale


BOOK HOUSE from the paper of my Grandfather Sidney W. Campbell

I always think the cover of a book is like a door Which opens into someone's house where I've not been
before. A pirate or a fairy queen may lift the latch for me. I always wonder when I knock, what welcome there will be. And when I find a house that's dull, I do not often stay But when I find one full of friends, I'm apt to spend the day. I never know what sort of folks will be within you see. And that's why reading always is so interesting to me. ~~Annie Fellows Johnston



The Moncur Fam

The Moncur Fam
September 2006 look for a new one this summer