Monday, August 17, 2009

Adoration


I commented on my sisters blog that I do what I can to maintain my children's adoration of me. For example, Carter has a friend who claims to have "Deep Thoughts." Well anyone who grew up in the 90s knows that Jack Handy is the original deep thinker and so I tell Carter that his friend is nothing but a plagerizer (how do you like that for a made up word). And I then tell Carter how cool I was to have been around when those Deep Thoughts were first coined. See. Adoration maintained.

With the upcoming school year fast approaching (for us it is Wednesday Aug 19!!!!) I have a son in Jr. High, one in 3rd and a pre-schooler. All of which will be away from me part or all of the day. Thus I will be competing for adoration with teachers. The archnemesis of mothers everywhere.

How can I compete. What with tap dancing, salmon egg hatching, big band playing, science experiment blowing up, story time and name tags on a desk. All of it new and exciting and nothing like what boring old mom does at home. She just makes us do chores and yells when the aren't done.

I don't stand a chance.

I guess a part of me will admit that I am glad my kids have always had an adoration for someone other than me. Someone who helps me open their eyes to the whole big world out there in a context outside of home. Someone who will take the time to raise black widows (Mr. Jeffs) and direct a play (Mrs. Barker) and tell a joke everyday (Miss Bird) and run a mile (Mr. Nichols) and hatch salmon eggs (Mr. Herbert).

Because the long and the short of it is I need these people and appreciate their help in educating my sons and daughter.

So good luck this year to all you teachers and students heading back to school. I will be anxiously awaiting for the sound of the bus as it drops my kiddos back on my doorstep, filled with knowledge and inspired to make a go of this great world.

I'll even share some adoration with you.

5 comments:

Courtney said...

I can't wait to hear what lies in store for this school year. Also, when I read the title of this post, I was shocked to read that it wasn't about me! haha, but I was at least mentioned so that's something!

I have phantom butterflies in my stomach just thinking about going back to school. You know, like phantom feelings people get after a body part is amputated. School has been amputated out of my life and I just don't know what to do.

Anonymous said...

And no Umbridge this year right?
Right?!

Sarah said...

Way to maintain that adoration with Carter! I can't believe school is starting this week. I hope you get out early for the summer.

PS I friend of mine just started a community blog, and I thought you may be interested. If so, go ahead and share it with whomever you'd like.
http://bell-ladies.blogspot.com/

Ryanne said...

I forgot about your umbridge experience from last year. Hopefully that's not in store again. Senneca always likes everyone more then me it seems. I'll have to take some tips in 'adoration'.

EmRee said...

I love the picture and how you adore your children and being a mommy. You win hands down.

A little quote or two...

“There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.” -Washington Irving

"Education enriches the mind and enlightens the
soul," --Nicole Moncur 2008

"Reading can be dangerous." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale


BOOK HOUSE from the paper of my Grandfather Sidney W. Campbell

I always think the cover of a book is like a door Which opens into someone's house where I've not been
before. A pirate or a fairy queen may lift the latch for me. I always wonder when I knock, what welcome there will be. And when I find a house that's dull, I do not often stay But when I find one full of friends, I'm apt to spend the day. I never know what sort of folks will be within you see. And that's why reading always is so interesting to me. ~~Annie Fellows Johnston



The Moncur Fam

The Moncur Fam
September 2006 look for a new one this summer