Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Say what?




I am not very good at acronyms. You know like BYOB, or ATM. Those actually stand for something? So when I started on Facebook and I kept coming across letters like "ttyl" and "btw" I was confused.

So I Googled it (a phrase I have to explain to my mother every time I use it).

And came up with this handy website. http://www.abbreviations.com/

When I got to what ttyl actually stands for I was then left to guess what it was intended to mean. For example, it can me "totally," "talk to ya later," "ta ta ya loser" or the most baffling of all "through the yawning lounge." What the heck is the yawning lounge? Anyone younger than me who knows what this is referring to (and I hope I did not just post something pornographic) please uh, "school" me.

Another acronym that I run across a lot is SAHM. Which I first read with mild dyslexia as SHAM (great someone who is a big fat fake, but at least honest). It took me an embarrassingly long time to finally figured out it meant "stay at home mom." Yes, I can describe in 30 pages or less the cause and effects of the Plague in 1349 Italy, but I cannot derive what 4 letters stand for. Book smart. Not street smart.

SAHM does not have any other meanings but stay at home mom, at least according to my handy website, which I did not consult in trying to decipher this particular abbreviation (book smart, remember). So I move for a second definition:

"STILL A HOT MOMMA"

Because I have seen my sister in a bathing suit, my sis in law in a tank top on a boat, posted friends who run a 5k with me, seen new moms with beautiful babies, a girl survive a plane crash, friends at their children's weddings, friends planning weddings, and ladies who save dogs, mothers who are fighting cancer, raising chickens, and moving across the country/to another country.

I'd say there is a lot more to being a stay at home mom than four simple letters can sum up.

And it is hot.

3 comments:

Courtney said...

I totally thing SAHM should stand for still a hot momma =) and it took me forever to figure out what BTW stood for. I kept thinking it was some weird abbreviation for "between" but that never made sense. Thanks for the handy website.

Anonymous said...

Ah, but there are those of us where the original SAHM applies. I am not hot, unless it's over 85 Fahrenheit and I am not parked in front of an air conditioner. I just can't wait for the hot flashes of menopause (not). Then I'll be a menoSAHM

Anonymous said...

Hi Nicole,

Thanks for mentioning our website on your post... we agree that "Still A Hot Momma" is an acronym worth adding:

http://www.abbreviations.com/b1.aspx?KEY=553615

;-)

Regards,
Yigal Ben Efraim
CEO
STANDS4 LLc
http://www.abbreviations.com

A little quote or two...

“There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.” -Washington Irving

"Education enriches the mind and enlightens the
soul," --Nicole Moncur 2008

"Reading can be dangerous." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale


BOOK HOUSE from the paper of my Grandfather Sidney W. Campbell

I always think the cover of a book is like a door Which opens into someone's house where I've not been
before. A pirate or a fairy queen may lift the latch for me. I always wonder when I knock, what welcome there will be. And when I find a house that's dull, I do not often stay But when I find one full of friends, I'm apt to spend the day. I never know what sort of folks will be within you see. And that's why reading always is so interesting to me. ~~Annie Fellows Johnston



The Moncur Fam

The Moncur Fam
September 2006 look for a new one this summer