Wednesday, July 29, 2009

We almost lost Grandma to a bear...no seriously.

The kids with Grandma and Grandpa (Brent and Darlene) at Carter's birthday


We just sent Brent and Darlene back to WY. The boys wanted to make up a story about how Grandma was seriously injured from a bear encounter and would no longer be able to fly home for school teaching and that Grandpa was so worried about her he to was in such a state that rendered him unable to travel. When I told them that would be lying and dishonest they said, "SO!" Apparently honesty is optional when it comes to making up excuses to try and keep grandparents at our house for a little longer.




Ok so I was close too, but I still zoomed in to get this shot.

And the accidental bear encounter almost happened. We found a big ole grizzly in Denali National Park on our first drive about 5 miles from the entrance. It was way up a dry riverbed and walking towards us. Of course Dar got out for a closer look (OK we all did) but she was the last one in the car. She had the bus drivers from the park busses yelling at her to GET IN THE CAR!!! Dad was yelling at her and I was closing the door to save my children from certain bear stampede when she finally decided that across a dry creek was indeed close enough


There are plenty of other things I would be worrying about besides squirrels. Especially with JaDee's mom in the park.



Denali was awesome. Denali is the Native Alaskan name for Mt. McKinley. We saw the top 2 days in a row, but it is so huge and about 70 miles away from where we saw the top that by the time we got to the bottom (about 30 miles away) the whole thing was covered in clouds. Only about 10% see the whole thing totally cloud free and only 30% see the top ever so we got our pins at the gift shop that say we were part of the 30% club.


Look at us on the bus! This was our traveling venue for 8 hours and 120 miles round trip. Sound fun? It actually was!

THere is only one 90 mile mostly dirt road into the park. You have to take a bus unless you draw out for the lottery for a apersonal vehicle pass. Jeff may be excited for his elk but I want a park pass next year. THere are lots of "hotels" and resorts outside of the park entrance and there are 4 very nice resorts in the park at the end of the road. That too is another dream of mine.

So we hopped on our bus and rode 60 miles in and it was amazing. At one point I was hanging out the window over this drop off next to the bus to snap pictures down the valley from McKinley. And I do not think I could get tired of looking at that mountain. MY dream is a deck chair and a blanket and a morning of mountain gazing from one of those interior resorts (JaDee are you reading this? There is nothing in that last sentence about shooting anything in it).

After we got home at midnight from our day in the park we got up and went shopping. Well Darlene and I did. And let me tell you shopping with Dar for souvenirs is an experience like unto seeing the tallest mountain in North America. We had a blast.



This is a big bull in the wild. He is surrounded by Fireweed. People make jam out of this. and the moose love it.

That afternoon we headed out for some salmon fishing. But first we stopped at the Animal Conservation Center. We got up close with 2 bull moose and got to pet them trough the fence. We saw baby moose bottle fed. We saw a grizzly do tricks for reinder meat, saw the big Caribou (the ones in the park were scrawny) and black bear. Oh and those BIG cabbages Alaska is famous for: bok choy. An asian cabbage found in eggrolls and stir fry. Not a lot of taste but a lot of ruffage after you cook it. But huge to see.




This is a moose behind a fence.

We caught lots of fish. Note to all those girls who got to go with Grandma: Snagging them in the back, tail or any where other than the mouth region is illegal and you have to throw them back. An art JaDee finally mastered by the end of the night. He about killed his dad being out there so long and it wasn't until I threatened to leave him there in the rain that JaDee finally came in. Again we were home at midnight.

all in all a very satisfying trip. We loved having Grandma and Grandpa here for Carter's Aaronic preisthood ordination. It was a special moment for him and for us as his parents. He is a good boy who is growing up fast. He loves to help his sister and me. He and Ethan play so good and just giggle and laugh at all things boy. (The current joke: "Have you seen the movie 'Constipation?' No? Me either it hasn't come out yet."

Thanks scout camp.
And for Grant another fishing video.

4 comments:

Elder Nicholas Sinks said...

I'm so glad Brent and Dar were able to come for a visit. What a great adventure for them, and you guys. I would love to stay in a resort with you;) That would be my idea of an Alaskan vacation.

Courtney said...

You guys had so much fun! I'm glad it was a good visit & got to see so much wildlife.

Anonymous said...

Okay, now I'm jealous. You guys are in jackets and we're sweating it out in the lower 48. Cool pics!

Sarah H. said...

You know somedays I am really homesick for Utah, but then I see how incredible Alaska is...it's not so bad, I think I can stay here for a while. Looks like you had fun! I'm headed up to Fairbanks tomorrow I hope I can be in the 30% to see the top of Denali!

A little quote or two...

“There is in every true woman's heart, a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity.” -Washington Irving

"Education enriches the mind and enlightens the
soul," --Nicole Moncur 2008

"Reading can be dangerous." --Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale


BOOK HOUSE from the paper of my Grandfather Sidney W. Campbell

I always think the cover of a book is like a door Which opens into someone's house where I've not been
before. A pirate or a fairy queen may lift the latch for me. I always wonder when I knock, what welcome there will be. And when I find a house that's dull, I do not often stay But when I find one full of friends, I'm apt to spend the day. I never know what sort of folks will be within you see. And that's why reading always is so interesting to me. ~~Annie Fellows Johnston



The Moncur Fam

The Moncur Fam
September 2006 look for a new one this summer